You are ready, the time has come, the moment is here, it’s exciting, you feel adventurous and ready to go ahead on the trip of your life. Let’s go backpacking!
Suddenly you realize that you have never done this before and you have no clue how to fit everything you need in just one backpack.
In this post I will give you guys tips on how to be smart when you are packing for such a trip where most of the places are warm countries. I learned a lot during my 5 months of traveling with a giant, blue backpack on my back, and a small black and yellow backpack on my front. Was it hard? Oh yes! Did I listen to all of the good advises from so many people about packing before I left Norway? Oh No! Have I learned from it? Absolutely.
1. You don’t need more than one, maximum two bikinis. I brought ten (!) with me and the only reason I did it was because of my blog and Instagram. I wanted to be able to change and I knew that when traveling in Asia, Australia, Indonesia and Fiji a lot of my photos would be in a bikini because of the temperature.
2. Don’t pack clothes you care about. It’s better to have clothes you can throw away when you find something else you wanna buy instead of doing like me – Buy all new clothes for the trip and then having problems fitting everything in the backpack when I went shopping. Remember that backpacking is not a trip for shopaholics going crazy, so you want to make sure you have as much space as possible for when you find something you really want to buy.
3. Pack a “pharmacy” but only pack the things you know you will need. Examples here are a “emergency kit” for travels or buy singles like I did. Band aids, a small scissor, disinfectant, cremes, medicine, painkillers etc.
4. Depending on where you are traveling, some places there won’t be anywhere to do your laundry and therefore it’s a good idea to bring a “multi wash” small bottle for laundry, showers etc. I literally showered in the jungle several times. Amazing!
5. Bring samples when it comes to makeup and skin care. Buy more on the way if you have the money and need for it.
6. Always bring one warm sweater made of preferable wool. Good to have on the plane or chilly nights.
7. Sunscreen! This is very important. Bring small bottles with high SPF and buy more on the way if you need to.
8. Mosquito repellent spray for both clothes and skin. It’s also a good idea to bring a mosquito tent if you are traveling where there is dengue or malaria.
9. All your papers. It can also be a good idea to make a couple of copies of your passport. Papers you need to bring is travel documents, flight tickets, vouchers if you have programs, vaccination card, driver license, insurance papers etc. Always keep your insurance card with you at all times as well as your passport.
10. World wide adapter for your computer, camera, mobile phone etc. Remember that the outlets are different all around the world.
11. A body tight belt that you can keep your passport, credit card and the most important things at all times in. This belt is suppose to be hidden under your clothes at all times. Never walk around without this. If you wanna use this belt for money as well just remember not to have too many coins so that it won’t be too full and visible.
12. Earplugs is a good idea if you are sensitive to noise like me, also bring eye mask if you are sensitive to light.
13. A good pillow for flying and traveling. You will most likely use plane, train, bus etc over many hours so a good pillow is a must.
14. Bring one pair of good sneakers and one pair of sandals. If you are going to more colder countries try to schedule the cold countries at the end of your route so you can buy what you need in these countries. I did this when I came to USA.
15. Bring one pair of comfortable shorts and one pair of comfortable pants.
16. Bring underwear you can throw away if you want to, underwear that has a good breathable fabric and that feels good on your skin.
17. If you want to you can bring a water bottle that has a filter inside. Always remember to be aware about drinking tap water and ice cubes, especially in Asia, but also other parts of the world. Do some research and bring medicine for upset stomach just in case.
18. A notebook and a pen. Don’t trust technology fully when traveling as a backpacker.
19. Hand sanitize. I used this all the time when traveling around the world. You can also buy a spray you can use on cutlery. I used the spray mostly in Thailand and Indonesia.
20. Bring an extra backpack as a carry on if you are traveling with electronics. You don’t wanna put your Mac book in your big backpack.
21. Don’t forget tags and locks on your luggage!
22. If you wanna pack smarter and get more space you can buy customized bags where you roll your clothes instead of just putting them all around in your backpack. This doesn’t only give you more space, it also helps you keeping everything in place so that you won’t have to mess up your backpack every time you need something.
23. Bring safety equipment. Safety on the trip is extremely important. I had a spray and also an alarm placed around my wrist.
24. Bring moisture safe bags. You can get these in travel stores. This is smart when you have dirty laundry / wet towels, or if you wanna protect your electronics a little extra. I had three bags – One for my Mac book, one I used to keep clean clothes or to put my camera in if it was a humid day and one for laundry.
25. Bring a microfiber towel. These are better when it comes to bacteria and they also dry faster.
26. Bring silk sheets/ silk sheet bag to sleep in. When you are backpacking you are traveling on a budget and you wanna make sure that you have something nice and clean to sleep in if you end up in a place that is not as clean as you pictured it. Silk also feels great on your skin when it’s hot.
27. Don’t forget raincoats for you backpacks! There is nothing worse then having your luggage wet after heavy rain. Be extra careful when it comes to electronics.
28. Sunglasses, cap and a flashlight are good to have!
If there is something I have forgotten about – Please share in the comments guys! Backpacking is the most amazing trip of your life and by preparing a little bit you are making the whole experience a lot better! Xx